As noted by commenter Robert Cooper, I completely ignored the commonalities between The Lego Movie and The Matrix. But upon reflection, they both involve
- A hero who is a “Chosen One”
- …whose powers are prophesized by a black mystic…
- …and which are later revealed to be bogus.
- Nevertheless, when the hero is actualized, he is able to see the underlying code that builds his world.
- His girlfriend is a pretty kick-ass chick with a flair for dark form-fitting clothes.
- The bad guys employ floating, many-tentacled machines to do their bidding.
- The penultimate builder of their world is a dickish white guy in a suit.
So, in retrospect,